When you complain about a bank or other financial institution, PIRG recommends that you keep written copies of all complaints, never send originals, and keep a log of any telephone communications—always writing down the name, title, date and contact information for the person you spoke to. You should first try to resolve your complaint with the institution, but if dissatisfied, immediately contact the proper regulator from the list below. If you aren’t sure, and send it to the wrong regulator, they will forward it. Be sure to include the following information. Send a copy to U.S. PIRG at 218 D St Southeast, Washington, DC 20003. Unfortunately, we can only use your complaint to help us measure the volume and severity of complaints. We don’t have the staff to take over your case or provide advice to you. Again, be sure to include the information below.

Comptroller of the Currency
Office of the Ombudsman
Customer Assistance Unit
1301 McKinney Street
Suite 3710
Houston, TX 77010
1 (800) 613-6743
(regulates banks with national in the name or N.A. after the name)


Due to the volume of complaints concerning national banks, especially credit card banks, PIRG recommends that you send a copy of any national bank credit card complaint to OCC headquarters as well: The Honorable John Hawke, Comptroller of the Currency, 250 E St Southwest, Washington, DC 20219).


Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
20th and C Streets, N.W., Stop 801
Washington, DC 20551

 (202) 452-3693.

(regulates state-chartered Federal Reserve member banks)

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Compliance and Consumer Affairs
550 17th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20429
(202) 942-3100 or 1 (800) 934-3342
    (regulates state chartered banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System)

Office of Thrift Supervision
Consumer Programs
1700 G Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20552
(202) 906-6237 or 1 (800) 842-6929
    (regulates federal savings and loans and federal savings banks)

National Credit Union Administration
Office of Public and Congressional Affairs
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3428
(703) 518-6330
    (regulates federally chartered credit unions)

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
6th and Pennsylvania, N.W.
Washington, DC 20580
877-FTC-HELP – toll free (877-382-4357)
    (regulates finance companies, stores, auto dealers, mortgage companies, and credit bureaus)

Identity theft complaints 1-877-IDTHEFT.

Securities and Exchange Commission

Our Email Address is:

Our Mailing Address is:

SEC Division of Enforcement
Enforcement Complaint Center
450 Fifth Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20549-0202

Our Fax Number is:(202) 942-9570

For inquiries that do not relate to a potential violation of the Federal securities laws, please contact the Office of Investor Education and Assistance.

(SEC regulates securities and investigates violations of the securities laws.)